I want an EHCP

If you do not already have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), then you will need to apply for one. The information below will tell you more about this and what you will need to do:

What is an EHCP?

An EHCP is a legal document that tells your school, college or setting what your needs are and how to help you.                          

You might find this video from the CDC helpful:

How do I apply?

To get an EHCP you first need to ask for an EHC needs assessment. This is to look closer at what your needs are and what might help you with your learning and education.                                        

The request needs to be made to the SENSAP team at Leeds City Council. It can be made by you, your parents/ carer or by your school, college or setting with your permission.                                       

  • You will be asked to fill in a form called an EHC3
  • Parents and carers are asked to fill in the EHC2 form
  • Schools, colleges and settings are asked to fill in the EHC1 form.

You can work with your parent/ carer or school/college to give your thoughts, feelings and views or you can contact us and we can help.                         

If your school, college or setting does not give you a copy of the EHC3 form, you can contact the SENSAP team on 0113 3785256 or sensap@leeds.gov.uk to ask for one.                                        

What happens next?

There are four steps to the EHC needs assessment process:                                        

  • SENSAP has 6 weeks from recieving the request to decide if they think the assessment is needed.
  • If they agree to the assessment, they have 6 weeks to do it, you might be asked to meet with some professionals such as an Educational Psychologist as part of this process.
  • You will then be invited to a meeting to talk about your assessment. SENSAP will tell you if they think that you need an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) or if they think that your school, college or setting should be able to help support you without one.
  • If you are being given an EHCP it will be written within 20 weeks from when you asked for the assessment. It is a legal document that your school, college or setting must then follow to support you with your learning and education.

If SENSAP say they will not do the EHC needs assessment, or if they do the assessment but do not give you an EHCP you would be able to re-apply or appeal against (disagree with) this decision.       

If this happens you can contact us and we can talk to you about this and offer some help.

I have an EHCP

If you have an EHCP, you might find the information below helpful.

If you have a question that is not answered here,  you can contact us and we will try to answer it for you.

What happens at a review?

Your EHCP needs to be looked at once each 12 months to make sure that it is still helpful to you. It is sometimes called the annual review.

It is a chance for you to say what you think about it, talk about anything that is worrying you or ask for any other help or support that you think you need.                          

The following steps make up the review process:                                    

  • SENSAP will ask you for your views about your EHCP.
  • A review meeting take place to talk about your EHCP
  • SENSAP will ask for information from your school, setting or college, your parents/carers and anyone else that has been working with you to help them to make decisions about your plan.
  • Within 4 weeks SENSAP will tell you if they are going to keep your plan the same, make changes to it or stop it

If you are unhappy with anything that happens in your review, then you can contact us to talk about this and get your options about what you can do next.                                    

You might find it helpful to watch this video from the CDC about annual reviews:


My needs have changed/ I want more support

If things have changed for you and there is a not a review happening soon, you can speak to your school, college or setting or you can contact SENSAP on 0113 3785256 and ask to have your review earlier.                    

It might be that:

  • you think you need some more or some different support
  • something has changed with your health or social care needs
  • you think that you need a change of school, college or setting
  • there is a big change coming up that you want some help and support to prepare for

You can also contact us to talk about this and we can help you to request and prepare for a review.                  

I want to plan for the future

From year 9 onwards your EHCP reviews should talk about something called 'preparing for adulthood'.                    

This is to help you to:                    

  • prepare for higher education or employment
  • prepare you to be able to live independently
  • be part of your community and have supportive relationships and friendships
  • be as healthy as possible in your adult life
You can read more about this on our preparing for your future page, or by visiting the preparing for adulthood website.

I want to change school, setting or college

If you are unhappy at your current school, college or setting, or think that they are not able to support you in the way you need. You could ask for a meeting with them to discuss this further. You can contact us if you would like some help to request and/or prepare for this meeting.             

You could also contact SENSAP on 0113 3785256 and talk to them about your concerns. It may be that a review is arranged to look at your plan and your placement in more detail, as for a change of placement to happen, it must be changed in section I of your EHCP.             

I don't want a plan anymore

If you do not think that you need your EHCP anymore then you can speak to your school, college or setting about this. You can also contact SENSAP on 0113 3785256.             

Your plan will automatically stop when you reach the age of 25, or if you choose to leave further education or training.             


More information, advice and support (IAS)

Leeds SENDIASS are not responsible for the content of sites or services offered by third parties.

You can find more resources on our useful SEND links and tools page.